This may come as a shock, but apparently my Moon Pie post was not as loopy as it sounded to many of you. Turns out Moon Pies (or Orion Choco-Pies, their Russian/Asian doppelganger) really are a propaganda piece in the machine of Cold War. The present tensions between North and South Korea, that is.
My sister sent me a link to this very interesting article from The Daily Mail (UK)–looks like it was published today.
The opening lines of John Hall’s article read like this:
Chocs away! North Korea unleashes latest weapon against its rivals in the South – counterfeit Choco Pie cakes to rival delicacy available over the border
- North Korea has a roaring black market in the popular Choco Pie snack
- Sweet treats change hands for £3.60 in Pyongyang, but only 17p in Seoul
- So popular they are even used as alternative payment by some employers
- But Kim Jong-un is angry at the North’s love of a South Korean product
- He is now making his own Choco Pies in order to bring down their value
Well, Mr. Kim Jong-un, the joke is on you. You are just putty in the hands of the universal Moon Pie awakening.
2 thoughts on “Update to “Moon Pies and Moon Landings””
Moon pies, apparently, rule the world…But all pale in comparison to the Southern (American) originals haha
But, to be fair, we gobble Moon Pies of all nationalities, creeds, and colors.